This two-day workshop provides an overview of the end-to-end activities within the retail product cycle; from financial planning and range planning, to understanding customers, markets, stock management, distribution and trading. It reveals the tools, techniques and process that retailers use to help them interpret and deliver their strategies and present their offer.
Two experienced facilitators with commercial backgrounds cover topics including merchandise planning, sourcing, buying, range & assortment planning, WSSI, allocation, distribution and trading. Insight is shared into the roles and responsibilities within buying, merchandising, planning and commercial departments and how success is defined and measured in commercial terms.
Please get in touch to explore pricing options, or simply find out more.
What you will learn
- The current trends and complexities affecting retailers today
- The retail cycle and the roles and responsibilities within a retail business
- The high-level tools, techniques and processes within the retail cycle that bring products to market
- The key concepts, calculations and drivers used within typical retail organisations
Modules in more detail
- The retail landscape – a look at the current retail landscape and the key trends, challenges and opportunities facing today’s retailers
- The retail cycle – the high-level steps used within retail businesses
- Retail structures – typical functions, job roles and retail hierarchies
- Financial planning – an introduction to the key elements of a financial strategy and merchandise plan
- Customer, markets & competition – understand and analyse these critical influences
- Digital retail – an overview of the commercial considerations associated with online retailing
- Product & range planning – the process associated with developing a product assortment or range
- Supply base & sourcing – how to select and manage suppliers and product sourcing options
- Supply chain & logistics – how intake is managed and its journey through a warehouse or distribution centre
- Allocation & launch – sending stock to selling channels and ensuring a strong product launch
- Trading – how to analyse and understand performance to make decisions that maximise trading outcomes
Store visit – optional store visit activity
Who it is suitable for
- Entry level roles within buying, merchandising and planning
- Anybody applying for a job in buying, merchandising and planning
- Roles within retail support functions e.g. HR, finance, IT
- Suppliers of products or services to retailers
At a glance...
- Two-day classroom workshop
- Suitable for up to 12 delegates
- Facilitated by two experienced retail professionals
- Packed with insight, information, tips and techniques
- Engaging activities, quizzes and action planning
- Accompanying workbook